Wednesday, December 12, 2007

Rocky Horror Documentary


One topic that I've been waiting to see a documentary on is the Rocky Horror Picture Show. There is a very unique culture that enshrouds this cult classic with very unique individuals. I've been to several shows in the Twin Cities and North Dakota. I've also been to one in San Diego CA, but the culture is identical. Everywhere i the US this phenomena of getting dressed up in drag or extremely gothic (or not getting dressed up at all for some) has become a ritual part of the underground cultures of several cities across the US.

My documentary would be an exploratory excursion into the theaters where this film is acted out and get behind the scenes to find out who produces these showcases and what goes in to macking a sucessful show. I'd also interview people in the audience, especially those who see it often to see why exactly they come to see the same show over and over again. I'd like to somehow capture the general tenor and feel of the groups of people participating and communicate that with an audience.

The work as a whole would consist of several different interviews coupled with clips from the original film and the acting that goes on in front of the movie screen. I'd also try to collect a few of the callback lines that the audience is supposed to shout out with during the show. One unique interview I'd do is to talk to a "virgin" who is someone who has never seen the show presented on stage before. I'd talk to them before the show, asking them what they've heard of the show and what they expect to see. I'd follow up by asking them after the show to see what they got out of it, weather or not they liked the show and if they're hooked enough to come back and see it again. I think this would make a gret documentary that could be fodder for follow-up documentaries in the future as the scene grows and changes.

No comments: