Wednesday, December 12, 2007

Metal Media

Ah, a music topic. I like writing about music because I enjoy music that I write. Well, I'm not that good at it, but I do draw a lot of influences from all over the spectrum. Primarily, I will be talking about Heavy Metal. I did my presentation on industrial metal, but that was because it had more to do with classroom oriented subjects. Heavy Metal tends not to fit in well in classrooms anywhere, but I still love it.

I play lead guitar and have been in and out of a couple of bands here and there, but my favorite thing to listen to when I'm not studying or reading is the wail of a whammy-bar or the chugging E string of a Fender Stratocaster. For some reason it pumps me up and changs my mood to something alert and vigorous. I also love the references to literature strewn throughout the genre. One reference I'd like to make is to a classic piece of heavy metal that is based on a book.

The song "One" by Metallica is based on the anti-war novel "Johnny Got His Gun" (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Johnny_Got_His_Gun) and features lyrics that paralell parts of the plotline. Their music video for the song has also got clips from the novel's film adaptation integrated into the song.



Some of the features of this song I like are the different kinds of guitar-work done. The song starts so mellow and smooth but then builds into a thrashy speed metal chugging fretfest. The solo pieces also start very classic rock-ballad like until the end when they turn into face-melting shredding fretwork that fits well with the general theme. The song also has a double-bass drum rhythem near the end that replicates the sound of machinegun fire, which gives the song more poetic liscense with the novel it is about. Its lyrics are also about hard issues to deal with in unusual circumstances like having no face limbs or senses, going mad, regret and unattainable death. All of these themes and musical devices make this song my number one (pun intended) song on my list of songs I listen to too often.

No comments: