Wednesday, December 12, 2007

Klinger and Griffon

I don't watch much TV and reading is something I do almost exclusively to books, so this blog is going to a tough one. I do watch a few television programs if I have the time and they are on, I prefer to spend my time playing mindless videogames and reading rediculous sci-fi novels in my free time, but M*A*S*H and Family Guy make it into my TV set on occasion. M*A*S*H is on the Hallmark channel whenever I watch it. It may be on other stations, but I haven't seen it on any other. The Hallmark Channel is owned by Crown Media, which provides film training to otehr stations. I don't think this affects my viewing experience because there seem to be no hidden agendas in the commercials (which are typically aimed toward an older, female audience... both of which I am not) and the fact that I am deliberately watching this program rather than watching it on a whim.

Family Guy on the other hand is on cartoon network during Adult Swim. This is owned by the Turner Broadcasting Agency and has a lot of impact on my viewing experience. A lot of Adult Swim's commercials are aimed toward people around my age group with my style of humor or "college humor" to be specific. The voice in the ads and messages from Adult Swim are in dialogue that a person my age can connect with because it isnt a 60 year old huffing and puffing man talking to me about his concerns about falling down in the shower. Adult Swim talks about new bands coming out, video games that deal in senseless violence and the commercials usually have a redicuulous amount of sex appeal. This advertising strategy makes me want to watch Family Guy on Adult Swim more than on FOX (also because its on later an night when I actually have time for TV) This kind of media is something I allow into my life, and enjoy, but the majority of the time, I do not like media entering my life without my consent.

No comments: